How do we Protect your Information?
We are committed to ensuring the security and confidentiality of your information. There are a number of ways we do this;
- Staff receive annual training about protecting and using personal data
- Policies are in place for staff to follow and are regularly reviewed
- We check that only the minimum amount of data is shared or accessed
- We use ‘smartcards’ to access systems, this helps to ensure that the right people are accessing data – people with a ‘need to know’
- We use encrypted emails and storage which would make it difficult for someone to ‘intercept’ your information
- We report and manage incidents to make sure we learn from them and improve
- We put in place contracts that require providers and suppliers to protect your data as well
- We do not send your data outside of the EEA
How Long Do We Keep Your Information?
In line with the Department of Health Code, we will retain / store your health record for your lifetime. When a patient dies, we will review the record and generally it will be destroyed 10 years later, unless there is a reason to keep it for longer.
If you move away or register with another practice, we will send your records to the new practice.